How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 22615
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now

My cat has been tested for diabetes and was ok on Friday. We

This answer was rated:

My cat has been tested for diabetes and was ok on Friday. We are awaiting test for thyroid function to come back tomorrow. My cat has deteriorated over the last two days and is lethargic and seems very "down". Should I put some honey on her mouth? Please advise what I should do. THe vets is closed until tomorrow

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I am concerned to hear that Belle has deteriorated over the past few days. Giving her honey is fine but its not likely to be very effective if she is feeling poorly. We only really use that as an intervention when diabetic cats have too low a blood sugar.

Can you tell me is she off her her food?

Will she drink?

Has she had vomiting?

Or lip smacking, hard swallowing, retching?

Any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Thanks


She has eaten food. She has been sick yesterday. She is drinking but is very quiet and lethargic.


No hard swallowing or retching or lip smacking. no diarrea

Thank you Joe,

If she is eating, then the honey is again not necessary and not likely to be beneficial. If you think her appetite is poor (and vomiting often will negatively affect appetites), then you can consider a wee bit of supportive care here. For example, if she has been sick and still looks nauseous, you can try an antacid with her. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to recommend are Pepcid (More Info/Dose) or Zantac (More Info/Dose). This medication of course shouldn’t be given without consulting your vet if she does have any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications. Ideally, it should be given about 30 minutes before food to ease her upset stomach.

Afterwards or otherwise, you can try tempting her to eat better for you. Favourite foods are allowed or you can tempt her with a light/easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be boiled chicken, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), meat baby food (do avoid the ones with garlic powder in the ingredients) or there are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used here (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity.) Offer small volumes to start (just a spoonful) to reduce any risk of vomiting.

Otherwise, we would have to question whether her lethargy was due to dehydration despite drinking or that the underlying disease is progressing while you wait for blood results. To ensure dehydration is not playing a role here,do consider checking her hydration status. To do so, there are a few things we can test at home. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether she has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this (HERE). They use a big dog but it makes it easier to see and the principles are exactly the same.

If you rule out dehydration or a lack of proper nutrition causing her further deterioration, then we will be limited with what more you can try at home. And in that case, I would advise a call to your vet. I appreciate that it is a bank holiday but in our country, some veterinary practices have office hours today (my own practice is open normal hours). As well, I wanted to mention that most veterinary practices here do have contingency plans for emergency care for their patients even when they are not open. Therefore, it is worth ringing the practice. If they are open, you can get her seen today. If they aren't, then they will likely have a message to direct you on how to contact their out of hours service (which often is run by the vets that work at the practice). And you may find that they now have her blood work (but wouldn't have reported it until regular hours tomorrow) or can at least reassess her and addres those signs that are progressing. So, it is worth a wee ring to them now.

Overall, it sounds like her condition is progressing. If we have had vomiting and she is now feeling poorly with it, do consider an antacid for her. Otherwise, we'd want to tempt her to keep eating and drinking to ensure she keeps her strength up and doesn't become dehydrated. While doing this, do consider ringing her vets. They may have her blood results in hand but more importantly they can see her today if her condition is worsening and cannot wait until tomorrow.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.


If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Dr. B. and other Vet Specialists are ready to help you