Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My 7 month old German Shepherd puppy got into the bin 4 days

My 7 month old German Shepherd puppy got into the bin 4 days ago and has had diahrrea since. I bought some anti diarrhea tablets and didn't feed him for 36 hours, but he is still producing runny feces. He also seems to have a very runny nose. He is very happy and responcive and drinking a lot of water, but after having lost a puppy to HGE two years ago. Should I be as concerned as I am or is this probably a cold or a bit of food poisoning from the bin?
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Do you know what he could have eaten from the garbage?
2- What is the appearance of the nasal discharge?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Dr Peter,

there was some old pepperoni, tea bags, stale bread and the remnance of some ready meals. I made sure to check if there was any wrappers etc missing or chewed up but there were not. He also ate things like birthday cake and a couple other bits when at a friends house before I could stop him later that day.

The nasal discharge is clear and watery.

Ben, as you already know the diarrhea is most likely secondary to the dietary indiscretion. There are other possible causes for diarrhea like: Intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, etc. As far as the nasal discharge, he could have a different problem like a respiratory infection. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol, imodium or anti diarrhea medication. You see, stopping the diarrhea with medication.
2- Change his diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into regular diet.
3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.
4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24-48 hours have him checked by your family veterinarian.
5- If the nasal discharge develops a thick yellowish discharge or he begins to cough I would have family veterinarian examine him and start him on oral antibiotics. In the meantime observe him.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter