Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.

my dog (age approx 12+)has not eaten today and now she is throwing

my dog (age approx 12+)has not eaten today and now she is throwing up white & yellow foamy mucus vomit. if she drinks water she throws it up. i gave her half a zantac but she was sick half an hour later so probably threw this up. she keeps stretching and can't settle. I have been out all day and again all evening but there is no sign of her being sick while I have been out. she has done this before over the last 3 years, twice. the first time there was blood as well. i took her to the vets, she stayed a week (£3000+) they did every test imaginable but found nothing, the second time she stayed a couple of days (£1000+) and again nothing was found. should I make the 25 mile trip to the hospital again or wait it out and see what happens. she made a full recovery both times before
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she lethargic?
2- Any diarrhea?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
4- How much does she weigh?
5- How many milligrams is the zantac?
6- How many hours since the last time she vomited?
7- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. no - she is anxious, but she is a pretty anxious dog anyway

2. she had a quite loose stool about 7pm but I wouldn't call it diarrhea really

3. not that I know of, as I said she had lots of tests about 3 years ago when she vomited a lot of blood (xray, endoscopy, blood tests etc) but nothing was found. all her needles are up to date and she has been wormed a couple of months ago

4. 2 stone

5. half a 75 milligram tablet, that's what they gave her each time she was in the vet hospital for vomiting

6. 20 minutes, she's done it 4 times since midnight when it started

7. her gums are quite dark red really

Elise, vomiting and loose stool can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, infections, ingestion of a foreign body, etc. to to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Keep her on Zantac 75mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours.
2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Or, she will continue to vomit if she is allowed to drink and eat.
3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- If she continues to vomit after doing the above she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter