Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

What could be the causes of unexplained vomiting & letharg

What could be the causes of unexplained vomiting & lethargy
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How many hours since the last time he vomited?
2- Is he currently on any medications at home?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He has not been sick again for over 24 hours now. He is not on any meds at all
Angela, vomiting and lethargy can be caused by many different diseases. In an older cat we begin to get concern of systemic diseases like: Kidney or liver disease, hormonal disorders, infections, etc. to name a few causes. It is also important to remember that cats as a species will develop liver disease (hepatic lipidosis) secondary to not eating regardless of the inciting cause.
In this case, I would strongly recommend having him rechecked by family veterinarian for blood work (chemistry profile, T4 & CBC) and urinalysis as initial screening test. Treatment will be based on test results. In the meantime, you need to force feed him. Offer him a bland diet of rice with boiled boneless chicken or ground beef. If possible, blend the food and force feed him small amounts with a turkey baster 4-6 times a day. In addition, give water with a dropper directly into his mouth.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter