Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  Veterinarian, UC Davis graduate, emphasis in Dermatology, Internal Medicine, and Pain Control
14008320

my dog has been bit by something and is having an allergic

my dog has been bit by something and is having an allergic reaction
Welcome! My name is***** am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.
1. How much does your dog weigh?
2. How much piriton did you give?

3. Exactly what symptoms are you observing?

Dr. Andy
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

38kg 1 piriton. they are large red lumps on belly and feels like they are all over. Her eyes are face are swollen

Okay Clarie.
Off to the ER vet. Without a doubt. The antihistamine will NOT be sufficient to address that facial swelling. This is why I wanted to ask those questions first. It is a textbook recommendation, really by all vets, that if swelling is present, giving a steroid shot is crucial for a fast and effective recovery.

Also, at that body weight, and with a severe reaction, I would not hesitate to give a second piriton right now.

Wish I could do more, but a steroid shot is key to resolving that swelling and the hives on the body.
The antihistamine, alone, could take several hours before any benefit (if any benefit) is seen.

I will pray for a speedy recovery.
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Otherwise, select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy