How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 22584
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now

what paper work do i need to take my parrot to france and how

This answer was rated:

what paper work do i need to take my parrot to france and how do i get it

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, if you are permanently planning to take a parrot to France, then you will need a Certificate of Good Health (in both English and French). To obtain this, you will need to have your parrot examined by a "local veterinary inspector." This is a vet that is trained and legally approved to issue certificates for the import/export of pets. They will need to issue the certificate of good health (in English + French) to verify that your bird is currently healthy and not carrying any disease. This certificate needs to be issued within 1-5 days before the bird arrives in France. In regards ***** ***** a vet to do this for you, you can check the RCVS register (HERE). Do make sure to confirm that the vet you choose to see can issue these certificates when booking your appointment.

Further to this, you will need to have a declaration from yourself that states that you are the owner of the bird that you are accompanying and will not be selling him.

As well, just to note the French authorities have no restrictions on transport routes between the UK & France. Therefore, you can use a private means of transport if you wish (where coming back this may be restricted). More information on approved routes to travel between France & the UK, can be found HERE.

Finally, if you intend to return to the UK with your bird (if this is just a holiday), you will need to contact DEFRA for an import license (since getting animals into the UK is often more complicated then out). You can obtain more information on quarantine procedures from their website @

Or you can contact them directly via:

1A Page Street, London, SW1 4PQ

Tel: +44 (0)(###) ###-####/p>

For further information, I do also want to give you the contact details for the British Embassy in France:

Ambassade de Grande-Bretagne
35 boulevard du Faubourg Saint-Honoré
75383 Paris cedex 08

Tel: +00 33 1 44 51 32 81

-and- the French Ministry of Agriculture

Ministère de l’alimentation, de l’agriculture et de la pêche

Bureau de l’identification et du contrôle des mouvements des animaux
251 rue de Vaugirard
75015 PARIS

Telephone : +00 33 1 49 55 84 72
Fax : +00 33 1 49 55 81 97
Website :

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.


If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Dr. B. and other Vet Specialists are ready to help you