How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 33255
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now

Hi I have a 9 month staffs, about 4-5wks ago we took her to

This answer was rated:

Hi I have a 9 month staffs, about 4-5wks ago we took her to vet as she wouldn't open her eyes. The vet gave her some drops for conjunctivitis. This didn't work they done a tear test and she has been given optimmune. Since this started she has been very withdrawn and looks like she is in pain. She has been to an eye specialist and they can find nothing wrong with her eyes. She is on tramadol now. She has also had blood tests done and they have come back all clear. The only time Molly seems ok is when we walk her and when we feed her. But as soon as she is fed she goes all withdrawn and again eyes shut and looks like she is pain. We are at our wits end and not sure what to do. Any suggestions?

Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Molly. Please confirm that the original diagnosis of keratoconjunctivitis sicca ("dry eye") was incorrect and Optimmune was unnecessary. That seems to be the case because the opthalmologist didn't find anything wrong with her eyes.

If that's the case, her behavior is, indeed, indicative of head pain and a congenital (present at birth) brain disorder should be suspected if only because normal blood tests have ruled out disorders in the rest of her body. Referral to a specialist veterinary neurologist* should be considered. I would expect a cerebrospinal fluid tap and MRI to be recommended looking for increased pressure and anatomical malformations in Molly's brain (hydrocephalus, e.g.).

*Please see here: and please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. I regret that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner.

Dr. Michael Salkin and other Vet Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much for your reply. Molly is still on the optimmune until she goes back to the eye specialist next week. We will speak to our vet and see if we can get an appointment with the neurologist. He has also said this maybe the next step.
Thank you again
Kerry adams
You're welcome, Kerrie. Thank you for the update.

Please disregard the info request.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a couple of weeks for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.