How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Barbara Your Own Question
Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 1614
Experience:  Thirty years experience in small animal medicine and surgery.
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Dr. Barbara is online now

We have a norwegian forest cat. He's 4 years old and we rescued

This answer was rated:

We have a norwegian forest cat. He's 4 years old and we rescued him a year ago. He has always pulled his fur and after several vet's visits we identified allergies which made him itch. He still pulls his fur a little but not to the point of having bald patches now we have his allergies under control. He tends to do it in the morning when he wants to go out. Sometimes I think it's just become a stress relief for him now. Whilst we brush him a couple of times a week this still leads to maybe 4 hair balls a year. A few months ago he looked hunched and wouldn't move for a few hours. He was clearly in pain and we decided we'd take him to the vet later that day if he didn't improve. But a couple of hours later he coughed up a big hairball and was fine. In the last 3 hours he's got all hunched and still again. So I'm guessing it's another hairball. I don't want to fuss but I also want to not leave him in pain. I'd like reassurance as to how long I should wait before I call a vet please. He's conscious and responsive but still and quiet. He welcomes a stroke but won't crank up the purr machine.
Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I am a licensed veterinarian and I'd like to help out you and Ohli. I'm sorry it has taken so long for you to receive an answer. I just came online and found you.

Dr. Barbara :


Dr. Barbara :

It's midnight for you, and you are probably asleep. It does sound like Ohli is stable medically, meaning he should be fine overnight. I'd recommend that he see your vet tomorrow however, if he still doesn't want to eat and is acting in pain. It's dangerous with cats to wait more than a day to see how they do. Cats that don't eat for a couple of days or more can get a serious secondary liver disease called hepatic lipidosis.

Dr. Barbara :

Hopefully, when you wake up in the morning, Ohli will be back to feeling fine. Please let me know if I can address anything more specifically, or if you have any concerns or questions.

Customer: Thanks for your time and advice Batbara. We really appreciate it. I heeded your advice about him having not taken on food or water and it was just over a day since he'd eaten when we went to our local vet. Turns out he's got a temperature from some nasty but or other, so not a furball this time and definitely warranting medical help. His kidneys are swollen from the dehydration too. He's had painkillers and antibiotics and we're about to start an evening of syringe feeding him liquid salts and food. Fingers crossed he's much improved tomorrow and no further need for a car ride to see the bloke with the bum thermometer! Without your advice I might have waited another day. Ohli and I are both very grateful for your sage words :)
Dr. Barbara :

So glad to be of service! Also, happy that Ohli is getting the care he needs. . .these FUO's (Fever of Unknown Origin. . .yes we have a name for them!) are really quite common in cats and respond well to antibiotics and good nursing care usually.

Dr. Barbara :

Hope he improves quickly!

Dr. Barbara and other Vet Specialists are ready to help you
Hi Beth,
Thank you so much for your very kind rating. . .greatly appreciated!
I hope that Ohli is improving on the antibiotics.
This thread stays open for a few days, so if you any problems or concerns I'd be happy to assist in any way I can.
Also, we have a follow up that I'll request for you, just to see how things are going in a few days. This is also at no more charge, so I'd love to hear.
Best of luck to you both,
Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara and other Vet Specialists are ready to help you