Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

i have a 4yr neutered female cat who had a fight which left

i have a 4yr neutered female cat who had a fight which left scratches on her belly she has been licking it and made them into sores which have dried up but i have noticed that she now appears to have a swelling under the bottom sore i am on income support is there anything you can suggest ? it doesnt appear to be causing her pain
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she strictly indoors?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no she goes out

Frankie, it is important to stop her from licking the area or this is going to continue to get worst. This is what you can do:

1- Need to stop her from licking or she is going to delay healing. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing at affected area. Keep her indoors when she has the ecollar; danerous for her to go outside with the ecollar on.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 10-14 days.

4- If no significant improvement in 2-3 days after doing the above I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you i will try this what about the swelling should i be worried about it?

Once she stops licking and you treat as above the swelling will begin to subside.

You're welcome.