Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat is a havanna oriental chocolate ....he is having problems

my cat is a havanna oriental chocolate ....he is having problems with his breathing we have had all the tests done and this has been going on for 6 months or more all his air ways are fine etc he also makes a noise well breathing and he has to take big breaths ,he does breath though his nose and mouth ,he does get a wet nose
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please confirm for me that X-rays of Treachle's heart and lungs have been performed and no abnormal findings were seen. Please let me know if his heart auscultates (sounds) normal and if either a proBNP blood test or ultrasound of his heart has been performed in an attempt to rule out cardiovascular disease.
Asthma would appear to be the primary rule-out in such a patient. It's important to know that the lungs can appear normal - perhaps a bit overinflated which is easy to miss when evaluating X-rays - in X-rays and so when my index of suspicion is high for asthma yet I can't see signs of that disorder in either X-rays or a complete blood count (elevated eosinophils/a white blood cell would be contributory to the diagnosis of asthma), I might see how a trial of a corticosteroid such as prednisolone affects Treachle.
Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you for your help ,all the tests you mention has come back clear, my vet is now gonna try him on the meds you have surgested ,so I well let you know , many thanks cathy darbon

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you for your help ,all the tests you mention has come back clear, my vet is now gonna try him on the meds you have surgested ,so I will let you know , many thanks cathy darbon

Thank you, Cathy. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi , there is no change in treacle and its been a week now ,my vet is not convinced its asthma ,so not sure where to go from here.all I know is his breathing is making me sad to see him like it

Thank you for the update, Cathy. The next diagnostic of choice would be having his respiratory tract scoped by a veterinary specialist internist as can be found here: http://www.ecvim-ca.org/diplomate-list We need to look for obstructive lesions such as inflammatory polyps.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I'm going to check back with you in a week for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.
Please disregard the info request.