Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

Our collie/terrier cross has digestion problems I think. He's

Our collie/terrier cross has digestion problems I think. He's one and a half years old. He seems to always have very soft stools. He will do one firm stool a day but after that they are the consistency of porridge and sometimes of yoghurt. Any advice? Our vet said he'd settle down but he hasn't. Many thanks.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Any other symptoms? 2- Has he been dewormed? If so, what is the name of the dewormer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Dr Peter,

Rio has no other obvious symptoms. He's always a bit hyper and high energy but great fun & seems to be otherwise well. I've always had a dog but never one with this issue.

I wormed him about three weeks ago but it hasn't made a difference that I ca see. The wormer I used was Exitel Plus. Channele Pharmaceuticals. I gave him one tablet which contained 50 mg Praziquantel, 150 mg Febantel, 50 mg Pyrantel equivalent to 144 mg Pyrantel Embonate.

Thanks,

Paula

Paula, in a young dog with a history of intermittent loose stool one of the most common causes are intestinal parasites. I would recommend you repeat the dewormer. This time I was use a dewormer called Panacur (fenbendazole), it is given once a day for 3-5 days at label dose; repeat after 3 weeks. This will treat against most of the common parasites that affect dogs including Giardia. Finally, I would also put him on a supplement of a probiotic like Fortiflora. These are friendly bacteria that helps with regularity. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Dr Peter,

Thanks for this advice. I will worm again with Panacur and see how we get on over this month. I should say that Rio's problem is not intermittent. It is pretty much a constant problem.

Sincerely,

Paula

Fair enough. You're welcome. Dr. Peter