How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 18130
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now

My 4 month beagle puppy just bit into a fariy non bio soap

This answer was rated:

my 4 month beagle puppy just bit into a fariy non bio soap capsule, she has been sick and I have offered water, which she drank and then tried to be sick again, should i take her to the a vet tonight
15-30% anionic surfactants
5-15% non-ionic surfactants
<5% phophanates
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your pup bit into an non-bio soap capsule and has vomited. This is still considered a soap or detergent, it just lacks some of the enzymes that help break down proteins in stains that bio soaps contain.All detergents are gastrointestinal irritants and can lead to drooling, vomiting and diarrhea with a loss of appetite. We do not recommend inducing vomiting in cases of possible ingestion as that only leads to further irritation of the esophagus. I understand that you didn't induce vomiting, she is likely feeling nauseous because she ate the detergent, but let's see if we cannot get her to stop vomiting.For now because she is feeling nauseous pick up her food and water.If this just happened thoroughly rinse her mouth with cool water to remove any further traces of the detergent.To soothe her upset stomach and ease her stomach and gastrointestinal irritation you can give either:1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 9 to 20 kilos of body weight every 12 hours.OR 2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 9 to 20 kilos of body weight every 24 hours.These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle her stomach. These can be used for several days as necessary as they are quite safe.Then feed a homemade diet of 1/3 boiled hamburger or white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained and 2/3 white rice. Add 2 to 4 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, not pie filling, just pumpkin, to each meal for fiber if she has any mucousy diarrhea. Feed small meals several times a day.Once she's feeling better then start mixing in her regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take a week to get her converted back to regular food.If she continues vomiting, even after the acid reducing medication is given, refuses to eat or has explosive diarrhea it is best she see a veterinarian for an examination, injectable medications and oral medication like sucralfate to coat her gastrointestinal system.But if she shows no further symptoms there is no need for you to do anything other than continue the acid reducers and bland diet for a few days.Let me know if you have any questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you, ***** ***** better now, I know what to do and look for, many thanks for your quick response, she has stopped being sick and is playing now, so I will keep an eye on her, thank you
You are very welcome. I'm glad to hear that she is feeling better. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Dr. Kara and other Vet Specialists are ready to help you