Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My 6 month old cavapoo has eaten 2 grapes about an hour ago.

My 6 month old cavapoo has eaten 2 grapes about an hour ago. He's eaten his evening meal following this and is his normal healthy self. I've since found out that grapes can be potentially fatal to dogs, do I need to worry ? Please advise what's best to do. Thank you x
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How much does he weigh?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Last weighed 2 weeks ago, 7.6kg so probably about 8kg now
Friend, the lowest toxic dose for grapes is 0.7 oz/kg, this means he would need to eat at least 5 oz of grapes to be concern about toxicity. 2 grapes is not going to be toxic for him, he will be fine. No need to worry. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you still there ???
Yes I am here. Did you get my response?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No sorry, nothing
I will repeat my answer below: Friend, the lowest toxic dose for grapes is 0.7 oz/kg, this means he would need to eat at least 5 oz of grapes to be concern about toxicity. 2 grapes is not going to be toxic for him, he will be fine. No need to worry. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much, I did ring my local vet who suggested I took him in. I'm sceptical re out of hours charges but obviously if necessary I would take him. Do you think it's not required ?
I don't think it is necessary, 2 grapes is not going to be toxic. Your dog based on weight would need to ingest at least 5 oz of grapes to be concern about renal failure. You're welcome.