How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 22616
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now

My 8 year old Westie who was diagnosed with hip dysplasia as

This answer was rated:

My 8 year old Westie who was diagnosed with hip dysplasia as a puppy, is showing signs of lameness (I'm assuming arthritis has now set in). She is on glucosamine and NSAIDs but after three weeks there has been no improvement. My question is should I exercise her or let her rest?

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Poor lass!

If she is not improving, then you can give her a few days of rest to see if any secondary muscle strain/sprain settles and her gait improves. Otherwise, for severe cases, we do sometimes need to try different NSAIDs (as some work better for some individuals, just as drugs do for people), add in an additional pain relief option (ie Gabapentin, Tramadol), or even skip to steroids (which are often used as a last option in severe cases). And in regards ***** ***** for them, we tend to just want to keep them on flat surfaces and only exercise them as much as they are comfortable doing.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.


If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Dr. B. and other Vet Specialists are ready to help you