Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog is on Zodon he wouldn't eat this morning so it was

Hi my dog is on Zodon he wouldn't eat this morning so it was only at 4pm I managed to get him to take his first dose. When can I give him is next dose?

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that you had trouble getting your pup to eat and thus to take his medication. Zodon is the antibiotic Clindamycin in a flavored base to increase dosing ease and hopefully decrease the nausea that often occurs when taking this antibiotic.

There are two ways of dosing this medication. The high dose is given once daily or it can be split into two, each dose given 12 hours apart.

If the label says that it should be given once daily I would wait until tomorrow afternoon for the next dose.

If the label says twice daily (every 12 hours) then the next dose should be given early tomorrow morning (5-6 am is fine).

If he has been taking the medication once daily he may tolerate it better and therefor have a better appetite by splitting the total dose and giving it twice daily, in his case 5-6am tomorrow morning and then 5pm tomorrow afternoon.

But if he is already taking it twice a day then continue with that protocol, giving the next pill again tomorrow morning.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your quick response ! Essentially he is going to have missed a dose if I wait till morning , is this ok? He has just had a tooth out because of an abscess but he has also been getting chemo and radiotherapy for mouth cancer.

It is ok, as really there's no good way to go back and make up for that missed dose. Now that he has his medication his blood levels will rise again, and hopefully if he cooperates and continues to eat now he they will stay up with subsequent doses.

If this becomes a repeated issue for him perhaps medication to quell nausea (for example Cerenia or Zofran) or an appetite stimulant (mirtazapine) are needed.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't want a call ! Happy to discuss on here.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. I really appreciate your help!

No worries, we can continue here as we are. That is an automatic site generated prompt, but I think we are doing well here too. Just let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No that was all I needed to know, thank you so much for your help. Fingers crossed tomorrow is a better day
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No that was all , thank you so much for your help. Fingers crossed tomorrow is a better day.

I hope so too, poor fellow has been through a lot. I'm not sure I'd be eating very well either.