Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My mum's dog started off being sick over a week ago and

My mum's dog started off being sick over a week ago and hasn't eaten anything since his is drinking water but has very bad diaherria and is very largargic he is at the vets again for the weekend they have done blood tests and xrays but nothing is showing up we are very frustrated on what this could be
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately they cannot scan him at the vets as the scanner is broke

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What treatments is Brandy on just now?

What does his diarrhea and vomit look like?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
His currently on a drip in the vets for fluids and antibiotics, his diarrhoea is Brown water his sickness is bile his stomach is tender to touch his gums are pale pink and he has a disgusting smell in his mouth

Hello again,

Now I would first say that if Brandy's vets are concerned about organ involvement, stomach ulcers/masses, gut thickening, IBD, or gut cancer; then we may need them to refer him for a scan or even consider taking him to a competitor practice that can at least offer an ultrasound on an outpatient basis (or you could switch vets). That way we aren't limited by their failure to be able to offer an ultrasound. Otherwise, you do need to check what they are treating with specifically. Antibiotics and fluids are fine, but we'd want him on injectable anti-nausea medication (ie Zofran, Metoclopramide, Cerenia, Ranitidine, etc), an anti-diarrheal (ie Kaolin/Kaopectate), and an appetite stimulant as well. If they can stabilize his stomach, we'd hope he would eat but otherwise we may need them syringe feeding or tube feeding him at this stage. And I would just say that if his breath has a terrible odor, speak to them about whether it smells like ammonia (a kidney failure sign but may have been missed on bloods if they didn't check an SDMA, as urea/creatinine only picks up >75% kidney dysfunction) or if it smells like his gut contents (which could hint at a blockage even though the xray was negative).

Overall I share your concern about Brandy's lack of improvement. And if the scanner at that practice isn't usable, we'd need to think about referral or using another practice for that. Otherwise, we need to be treating his symptoms with the above on top of antibiotics and fluids to give him a chance here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

.