Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.

I have just returned from holiday and collected my miniature

I have just returned from holiday and collected my miniature schnauzer pup from my inlaws.We have noticed there is a lot of lumps under his skin round his chest, neck and legs ranging in size.Not sure whether this is something a needs to be worried about now and get him seen to or wait till Monday for the vet open?Thanks

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Matt, I believe that you're describing an urticarial (hypersensitivity) reaction in the form of hives and wheals which can result from offending allergens such as from envenomation by flying insects or spiders, food, drugs, chemicals, vaccination, and plants. Can you upload a photo(s) of representative skin to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Michael,Attached as requested

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The more we check, there seams to be a lot of scabs on some of these lumps

I don't see obvious urticaria. One of the lesions I see is erythematous (reddened) and appears to be an epidermal collarette which whould be consistent with the scabbing you're seeing. Collarettes usually indicate a pyoderma - bacterial skin infection often caused by Staphylococcus. The collarettes begin as pustules and then spread outward. The center quiets down but the rim can remain actively inflamed and infected. Collarettes can also be seen with fungal infections and autoimmune skin diseases. Treatment consists of an antibiotic in the cephalosporin class such as cephalexin for 3-4 weeks and 1 week past clinical signs. Bathing twice weekly in a chlorhexidine- or benzoyl peroxide-containing shampoo should hasten resolution of the infection. The shampoos can be found over the counter in pet/feed stores, your vet hospital, or online. The antibiotic is a prescription drug available only from an attending vet. To answer you drectly, this wouldn't constitute urgency; a vet visit Monday would be fine. You could begin bathing him, however, as I noted above. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for your help, out my mind at ease.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.