Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc (DVM equivalent).
9138059

My dog has been coughing and choking intermittently she

Hi my dog has been coughing and choking intermittently she suffers with allergies she has started snoring and I don't think she is weeing as much

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Foxx. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes. I will send through a few key parameters you will be able to monitor on Foxx tonight.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of possible causes for Foxx's intermittent coughing and choking, and while this could be related to her allergies, it could also be a sign of anything from a primary respiratory issue like asthma, an infectious issue like kennel cough, a foreign body, tracheal collapse, or even an internal organ issue. The fact she is urinating less frequently likely relates to the amount she is drinking, so do continue to encourage your girl to have good drinks of fresh water.

Because there are a range of possible causes for her symptoms, you will definitely need to continue to keep a close eye on her. If she hasn't improved at all by the morning, then you are definitely safest to get her seen by your local vet tomorrow morning if possible. For now however, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.