Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc (DVM equivalent).
9138059

My dog has diarrhoea and there is blood in it.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question and I'm sorry to hear about Saffron. How long has this diarrhea been going on for? Is she up to date with vaccinations and deworming treatments? Has she had any diet changes recently?

I will wait to hear from you.
Dr E

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
She had what I thought was an accident sometime after mid-night on Friday and 7.00am Saturday morning, I thought nothing of it as accidents happen and just cleared up the mess. Went shopping around 11.00 and arrived home a little after 12.40 and the smell hit me as soon as I walked through the front door. Cleaned up shampooed the carpet. Decided not to feed her, her evening meal. Around 11.55 last night let her out as usual and when she came in checked the area and found a very runny poo when I cleaned up I noticed it was red in colour. This morning she has pooed again and when I cleaned it up noticed that there was blood in it. Until now she has been in good health her booster jabs are up to date and she has also been treated for fleas and ticks. Have not given her any food this morning.

Thanks for that - I am replying now.

Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. Saffron's bloody diarrhoea is definitely a concern here and you will need to continue to keep a close eye on her. As you can probably imagine, there are a number of possible causes for this diarrhoea, including anything from a sudden change in diet, to an infectious issue, intestinal worms or even an internal organ issue. First and foremost, you really need to ensure that Saffron is completely up to date with her worming treatments. It sounds like she is up to date with flea and tick treatments, but make sure you use a good all-wormer such as either Drontal or Milbemax. Your local vet clinic will be able to get you this for Saffron's age and weight.

If this diarrhoea has continued on and off and hasn't improved over the last few days, I do definitely think it would be worth getting a faecal sample off to your Vet. Here he or she can send this away for full analysis including a culture and fecal float to help rule out infectious causes such as salmonella, campylobacter, giardia, coccidia and intestinal worms.

For now you are best feeding Saffron something really bland. Cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and cooked white rice is ideal for this type of situation and you can start that from this morning. If the diarrhoea is the same consistency today as it was when it started, I would recommend getting a fresh stool sample along to your Vet tomorrow if you can. Do your best to get a fresh sample in to an icecream container or something similar and take this in to your Vet at some point tomorrow. Feeding through the diarrhoea is now the recommended approach rather than starvation, so do give that bland diet a go, and hopefully that can help to firm things up for Saffron. If the diarrhoea continues despite a normal fecal sample and a diet change and worming treatment, then I would recommend further investigation which could include a full blood test for starters, followed by an ultrasound of her abdomen to ensure all is ok. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Saffron has been on the raw meaty bone diet since I purchased her back in 2010, she had diarrhoea then but that was because she was just over 7 months old and was Bakers adult dog food. When I started her on raw chicken on the bone the diarrhoea ceased. She is also given stewing lamb, oxtail and various pieces of raw steak. Has a fondness for banana but only in small amounts.

It could well be that one of the bones Saffron has had in the last few days has caused some GI upset and bleeding on it's way through (if she chews and swallows the bone), or there is even a chance of GI infection (E coli or salmonella) potentially. If you can, try and get Saffron dewormed today, see how she goes with some cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and rice for a couple of days, and encourage her water intake. If he feces don't firm up in the next 48 hours, definitely get her and a fresh fecal sample to your local vet.

All the best,

Dr E