Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.

We are looking after my daughter's 4-5 month old puppy. He

We are looking after my daughter's 4-5 month old puppy. He has darrhea and was sick on Thursday. We cut down his food and Friday he was ok - just darrhea. Yesterday he was sick again and so he was this morning. Just gave him chicken and rice this morning, but previously he was on Iam dried puppy food. Is it time to take him to the vet? He is drinking, and he has been lively in between, but not as lively today.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What does his vomit and diarrhea look like?

Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
His vomit is just like the mashed up food he has eaten. His diarrhoea is yellowish and watery with some lumps in it. His gums are pale a bit sticky. He is drinking water. We have found him eating plants and stones. Not sure if he has eaten the stones but he does tend to crunch then up. He has some lavender on Thursday. His nose is moist.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He doesn't seem to have any tenderness when his belly is pressed.

Hello again,

Now with Declan being so young, we do need to tread with care. Though since he can keep some water down and the signs don't sound profuse, we could try supportive care to start. Of course, if we were to see any belly pain or further paling of the gums (signs that would raise worries of stone gut blockages) that would be our cue to get him seen urgently. Otherwise I would note that his signs do also fit with a bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, or dietary indiscretion.

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest his stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating him an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, Zantac (More Info/Dose @]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if he cannot keep it down due to nausea, that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Afterwards, you can continue that light diet, but as his stools are loose fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran, etc) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion. Or if he is very runny, you can ring his vet or check the local pet store for an OTC probiotic/kaolin paste like Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fibre.

Finally, as dehydration is a risk with those sticky gums, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. Further to checking for gum moisture, do make sure he doesn’t have sunken eyes and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE ( If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, his signs do raise some concerns and we do need to tread with care. As this is lingering, it would be ideal to have him checked. But any delay and we can use the above to soothe his gut until his vet can check him for those above concerns and treat as needed.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**