How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Deb Your Own Question
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 10984
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Dr. Deb is online now

Should I wait until my dogs have stopped coughing completely

Customer Question

Should I wait until my dogs have stopped coughing completely from kennel cough before I bring a pup into the home?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Vet
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with your question.

If I were faced with this situation, I'd wait to bring a new puppy into my home until after my dogs who have been diagnosed with kennel cough are no longer coughing. Of course, the pathogens responsible for this condition can be brought in on our clothes or shoes; direct contact with a coughing dog isn't the only way it can be transmitted.

But, since the condition is considered contagious and to reduce the possibility of spreading as much as possible, I'd wait since a puppy's immune system won't be as strong as an adult dog's would be.

Typically, dogs with viral kennel cough (not responsive to antibiotics in other words) will only last about 10-14 days so we're not talking about a long time.

I hope this helps. Deb

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
They definitely aren't coughing as much as they have been
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 10 months ago.

That's good to hear but as long as they are coughing, they'll be more contagious to the puppy. It sounds as if it's pretty much running its course so waiting a few days longer shouldn't be too much of a hardship....I would hope, anyway. Deb

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
They haven't coughed since yesterday afternoon
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 10 months ago.

I'd give it one more day; if they haven't coughed in a total of 48 hours, then I'd bring the puppy home. Of course, it's still possible that the new puppy might develop kennel cough since you can't disinfect the entire house (and everything in it) but the odds are greatly reduced if the other dogs aren't constantly coughing.