Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.

I have a rabbit and I think his not well he got a pink lump

Hi there I have a rabbit and I think his not well he got a pink lump on the side of his face and his losing hair by his eye I am worried cqn u please help me

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Kaleigh, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I suspect that you're seeing evidence of a subcutaneous abscess which commonly occur in rabbits from traumatic wounds or bacteremia (bacteria in the blood) secondary to tooth root infection, oral foreign bodies, or upper respiratory tract or urinary tract infections. Facial abscesses (as you've described ?) are often associated with underlying dental or nasolacrimal duct disease. Can you upload a photo(s) of this lump to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Will he die cause I got 3 children

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

This lump is in the area where either a dental root abscess or infection in the nasolacrimal duct is present. You'll need to find a rabbit-oriented vet who can needle aspirate the lump in order to confirm the presence of pus. If confirmed, you're going to have a difficult decision to make because further care will be quite costly. A tooth might need extracting or the nasal lacrimal duct need flushing and a broad spectrum antibiotic will need to be prescribed and given for many weeks. Even if this is a simple subcutaneous abscess, these abscesses can't simply be lanced and flushed and an antibiotic sent home. They need to be removed as if they were a tumor - careful dissection of them so that no infected tissue is left or they'll come right back. To answer you directly, if untreated, yes, you're likely to lose her. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Omg that's bad its really as upset me do I need to get her to a hospital asap is it an emergency thing if it is tumor and removed will she die

A tumor is unlikely but not impossible. This doesn't constitute an emergency but it would be prudent to have it attended to at your earliest convenience. Proper care should prevent her dying.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks for your help much appreciated means a lot I did have her in garden but I brought her in also can a mice do that to the rabbit

Can a rodent bite her nose and cause an abscess? You bet. That would be an example of a traumatic wound as I mentioned above.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Aww thanks for giving me your time I ring vets tomorrow means a lot

It's my pleasure. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.