Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Am researching FIBD. I have a 13 yr old birman recently

Customer Question

am researching FIBD. I have a 13 yr old birman recently diagnosed
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the Birman?
Customer: She has been diagnosed with FIBD 3 weeks ago and I am in the process of changing her diet to hypoallergenic and trying to find ways to stop her continual vomite=ing need to find which is best probiotic to use on her food se is a very picky eater and hates the change
Assistant: What is the Birman's name?
Customer: Kiwi
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kiwi?
Customer: She was perfectly fine and (apparently) healthy apart from a slightly sore mouth and smelly breath so we took her to the vet on Oct. 10th. They gave her a dental and an enema as she was slightly constipated. She returned very ill and in a lot of pain, hunching her back, crying and vomiting. We changed vet as we were not happy with the attitude there. It seems that she didn't need the enema - Lactulose would have sufficed
Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did Kiwi eat anything unusual?
Customer: she has had blood tests and have ruled out thyroid, pancreatitis, diabetes, liver and kidney problems which leaves us with IBD.......Birmans have a tendency to myocardiopathy so the new vet is reluctant to subject her to any more anaesthetic not as far as we know - no! she doesn't go outside the premises except on alead
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Ideally a food intolerance in conjunction with IBD that was effectively controlled by a presumptively hypoallergenic diet would address her persistent vomiting. Until that occured, it would be prudent to adress an IBD with a glucocorticoid (steroid) such as prednisolone and/or the antibiotic and immunomodulary metronidazole which should also address her vomiting if only because those drugs reduce inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract. To answer you directly, any commercial probiotic for pets will suffice and there's no harm in providing human ones to pets as well. Most important, there are no studies showing that probiotics are affective in cats suffering from either food intolerance or IBD and so the best I can tell you is that they wouldn't be harmful. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.