Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I need urgent help for my budgie. She has a large lump and

I need urgent help for my budgie. She has a large lump and she is breathing faster but eating and drinking as normal. I need to know how to help her and get rid of this lump myself if i can.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Emma, can you upload a photo(s) of this lump to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi thankyou for looking at my case. Can you view the photos I just uploaded?

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No problem at all. Thankyou
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Large round lump is now turning a bluish purple colour.

Regretfully, I can't see from where this tumor is originating but it's a malignancy that won't respond to conservative (medical) care and it appears to be too far advanced to expect that surgical removal would be curative. There are other areas of tumor as well. An avian vet will tell you that Henchwin wouldn't be expected to survive surgery and surgery couldn't remove all of the cancer in any event. I wish I could be more encouraging for you. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
is there any possibly it may be a prolapse chloaca (sorry about spelling) or she is egg bound? I have seen 2 vets before the large round lump appeared 3 days ago and they said the other lumps were blocked feather follicles.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Im going to turn her over and take 1 last photo so you can see exactly where the lump originates. THANKYOU so much for your patience.

If you can see that it's coming from her cloaca (vent), yes, it could represent a prolapse of the cloaca or oviduct. It appears to be too far off the midline to represent something from the cloaca. I'm concerned, however, that the other lumps aren't feather cysts but, instead, tumors.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I really appreciate your advice Dr Salkin. Is there anything I can do about the cloaca until I can get her to a vet?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I meant the larger lump not cloaca sorry

I can't see the cloaca in that last pic. No, whether the larger lump represents a prolapse or tumor, it would need to be removed and you would need an avian vet** to advise if that were a reasonable thing to do. Regretfully, I believe not. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

**theparrotsocietyuk.org/veterinaryadvice/avian-vets

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I see. I will find a vet tomorrow for her. THANKYOU again for all your advice Dr.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'll do that. Thanks again.

I appreciate it.

Thank you for your kind accept.