Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Our 4 month old puppy has just got hold of a sachet of Oust

Our 4 month old puppy has just got hold of a sachet of Oust All Pupose descaler her teeth have pieced the sachet as it is all wet and some of the content has wet the floor slightly
I know it says to get them to drink water which at the moment she won’t can I give her milk which I know she will drink
I have washed her feet and stomach

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that Fudge chewed on and may have ingested some of the contents of a sachet of Oust All Pupose descaler.

This is a highly irritating acid, and mucous membrane exposure and ingestion can lead to burns of the mouth, lips, tongue, esophagus and stomach lining. This can lead to drooling, nausea, nausea, loss of appetite, vomiting and diarrhea.

It sounds like she did not ingest much.

DO NOT induce vomiting.

I would start by flushing her mouth with cool water, making sure to direct the stream of water so it comes out of her mouth.

Then it is fine to offer her 1/2 a cup of milk to drink.

I'll be back with more information, but I wanted you to have this to start.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

To try and settle her stomach and decrease acid production, which will only lead to further irritation, you can try either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one half of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle her stomach. These should be given for several days to decrease chances of permanent burns and damage to her esophageal and stomach lining.

Then feed a homemade diet of 1/3 boiled hamburger or white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained and 2/3 white rice. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber if she has any mucousy diarrhea. Feed small meals several times a day.

Once she's feeling better then start mixing in her regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take a week to get her converted back to regular food.

If she is vomiting, even after the acid reducing medication is given, refuses to eat or has explosive diarrhea it is best she see a veterinarian for an examination, injectable medications and oral medication like sucralfate to coat her gastrointestinal system.

But if she shows no symptoms there is no need for you to do anything further than the recommendations I gave you.

Let me know if you have any questions

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Many thanks for that
She has drunk the milk and is now running around on a mad half hour so she seems all right but will run her into the vet in the morning many thanks again

You are very welcome, hopefully she will continue to be well!