Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog has had diarrhoea for a few days, I’ve given him rice

HiMy dog has had diarrhoea for a few days, I’ve given him rice and chicken because my friend works in a vets and said that might sort him out. It’s as if he can’t control it at all and he just squats in the house (which he never usually does) he’s just done two more and they had bloood in. Not a lot but some small spots of blood.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am very sorry to hear about your fellow's repeated straining to pass loose stools, feeling like he constantly has to go such that he is going in the house, and such bad inflammation and straining that his loose stools have a little blood.

Of course anyone would be concerned about blood in the stool. The fresher the blood appears the closer the source is to his rectum.

Dogs with colitis or inflammation of the colon have a feeling that they constantly have stools to pass, and may strain enough to cause bleeding.

The important factor in all of this is how your boy feels otherwise. If he feels great and is willing to eat with no signs of nausea then those are good signs.

There is a condition in dogs called hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. These dogs have profuse dark, jelly-clot like, bloody diarrhea. They are very sick dogs and get dehydrated quickly so they need immediate care. Thus if he seems lethargic and/or begins vomiting an emergency veterinary visit is best.

But colitis or inflammation of the large intestine, can be due to stress, an abrupt change in diet, parasites, a viral or bacterial infection, eating things they should not that irritate the gut, inflammatory bowel disease or even a food allergy. Rarely a mass in the colon can be the cause, or exposure to anticoagulant rodenticides. Another possibility is an anal gland infection. These are scent glands that are located just inside the rectum and an infection can cause a bloody discharge and an urge to strain to pass stools, although that should not cause loose stools.

A raw, irritated colon can take a few days to heal. Do you know if he got into anything that may have started all of this? The bleeding should clear completely with treatment over the next 2 to 3 days. If not he should be checked by his regular veterinarian and his anal glands should be checked. Well worth checking at least a couple fresh stool samples too as parasite eggs/cysts are shed intermittently and they may be picked up on the second sample or third test even if the first is negative.

If he still feels well now though we can try some things at home.

If his appetite is off and his stomach is gurgling he may have some stomach upset and reflux that can go along with his bloody stools.

To try and settle his stomach today you can give either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one half of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These will reduce stomach acid and should help if this is related to simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation. They can be used for several days if need be. You can skip this step entirely if his appetite remains normal.

I would not feed him any food for 24 hours. This should help stop gut spasms and restore normal gut motility. Small amounts of water or ice cubes given frequently are fine as he needs fluids after all that he has lost with bloody stools. You can give him pedialyte to replace electrolytes too but Gatorade is much too high in sugar which can make his colon irritation worse.

Today even with the fast you can start Kao-pectate at 1/2ml per pound or 1/2 tablespoon per 15 pounds of body weight every 12 hours. This will coat his irritated gi tract as well as absorbing bacterial toxins. You can find kao-pectate at the drug store.

If he has a tense painful abdomen, continues to have diarrhea with no improvement after being on kao pectate for 24 hours, becomes very lethargic, begins vomiting or runs a fever greater than 103.5F then he really must be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible. Make sure to take a fresh stool sample with you when you go.

After his food fast start a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white skinless chicken), all fats and juices drained off, mixed with 2/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day. You might wish to add 1-2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin (not pie filling, just plain cooked pumpkin) to each meal as fiber helps soothe an irritated colon. I recommend adding probiotics like Fortiflora, Proviable or Benebac to his meals daily to re-establish normal gut bacteria levels too.

Once he feels better (no bloody diarrhea for 48 hours) start mixing in his regular dog food very slowly. Less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert him back.

If your pup is vomiting and feeling poorly though it would be best that he see a veterinarian now as anything you give him orally will just come back up worsening his dehydration.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He doesn’t seem to be in pain although he keeps shaking, I keep putting him in a blanket, is that ok? Those tablets- are they available from pharmacies or would I have to go to my vetinary clinic? He’s also not vomited at all.. don’t think he’s eaten anything he shouldn’t. He’s had a different bag of food but it’s the usual stuff he has.

Sorry I got called away with a small emergency.

If he is straining and passing stools in the house, and is shaking, he is experiencing abdominal cramps and he is uncomfortable.

You can wrap him in a blanket and cuddle him but I suspect his shaking is related to his cramping, not being cold.

These are all over the counter medications you can buy at the drug store.

You can skip the acid reducer if he does not seem at all nauseous.