Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I am not happy with injections.I only have our flatcoat done

I am not happy with injections.I only have our flatcoat done every 3 yrs except for lepto. which I understand only stays in the body for 12 mths.I have a 4 yr old and I have just read a book which also queries the long term effect. What do you think?

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. To answer you directly, I would core vaccinate Tiggy at 3 year intervals and stop vaccinating at 8-9 years of age unless there were a significant risk for leptospirosis where Tiggy frequents and if that's the case, leptospirosis vaccinations are best given at 6 month rather than 1 year intervals. The core vaccines given at 3 year intervals are canine distemper, infectious canine hepatitis (adenovirus-2), and canine parvovirus. All other vaccines* are optional and should be predicated based on assessment of risk-to-benefit ratio (environment, risk of exposure, etc.).

*canine parainfluenza, Bordetella bronchiseptica, Lyme/borreliosis

The above recommendations can be found in the 2011 AAHA canine vaccination guidelines save stopping vaccinations at 8-9 years of age. This is my preference but which is shared by others who believe that the risk-to-benefit ratio supports stopping vaccinations at that age. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.