Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My seven year old greyhound has eaten 10 beef oxo cubes plus

My seven year old greyhound has eaten 10 beef oxo cubes plus foil wrappers. He has drunk lots of water & just eaten his dinner. Will he be okay?

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.
I'm sorry to hear about your fellow ingesting these cubes.

1. How much does your fellow weigh?
  2. How long ago was the ingestion?
  3. Do you have fresh (unexpired) 3% hydrogen peroxide?
  4. How much salt (NaCl) was in these cubes? Often with cubes like these the primary concern is a very high salt content. If he's a very big fellow, and these were the low salt variety he may be ok.

The foil wrappers tend to be pretty thin and should pass in a large dog. But if the salt content in these is very high, or unknown, this just happened within the past hour or so, and you have fresh peroxide I would probably recommend that you induce vomiting with fresh (unexpired) 3% hydrogen peroxide.

If you don't have peroxide and it has been several hours then it may be too late anyway to do so.

Please let me know the situation and I can guide you further.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He weighs 34kilos. It happened at 15.30 this afternoon. He has already drunk a lot of water. Don’t have peroxide in house. Each cube is 0.95 grms of salt.

Is this the product he ingested? http://www.publix.com/pd/oxo-stock-cubes-for-beef/RIO-PCI-157645

In which case each cube has 650mgs (0.65 grams) of NaCl per cube, so 10 would contain 6.5 grams of NaCl.

Ok, I see the ones he ate are slightly different than what I found.

10 X 0.95 grams of NaCl = 9.5 grams.

Salt toxicity symptoms are seen at doses of 3.5grams to 4 grams per kilogram of body weight. That means if he weighs more than 3 kilograms (and he does) this is not likely to cause serious symptoms of salt toxicity.

But he is going to be very thirsty and may have some stomach upset. Give me a moment to type up my recommendations.

To reduce stomach upset you can give Ranitidine at a dose of 1mg per kilogram of body weight or 1/2 of the 75mg tablet size every 8 hours for the next few days. You can take a wait and see approach and only give if he seems to have stomach upset, or you can give it for 24 hours and see how he comes along.

Offer small amounts of water often. He is likely going to be thirsty, but if he drinks too much too fast that can make him vomit.

Feed a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white skinless chicken), all fats and juices drained off, mixed with 2/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day. You might wish to add 2 tablespoon of canned pumpkin (not pie filling, just plain cooked pumpkin) or cooked squash to each meal as fiber will help push the wrapper through and cushion the intestinal tract.

If he is refusing to eat, vomiting seems very lethargic, has profuse diarrhea or has muscle tremors or seizures then an emergency clinic visit is best.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.