Sophie-Vet
Sophie-Vet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary surgeon working in companion animal practice.
27746029

My beagle just ate a cooked lamb shoulder bone she got it

my beagle just ate a cooked lamb shoulder bone she got it out of the bin do I need to do anything to help her as I know they should not eat cooked bones

Hi there, my name is***** and I would like to try to help you today.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I want to ask for some advice I don't give my dogs cooked bones (or raw bones) but my Beagle got in the trash bin and stole a whole cooked lamb shoulder bone she has eaten most of it, I know cooked bones are not good for dogs. She does not seem in any discomfort and is laying in her bed sleeping. Do I need to do anything to make sure she is ok?

This is a tricky situation, and you are completely right in thinking dogs shouldn’t be given cooked bones. Once swallowed they can become stuck or tear the digestive tract (stomach or intestines). Unfortunatley the simple solution to make her vomit is risky here as the bones can cause damage when swallowed and vomited and an oesophageal (food pipe) tear can be worse than a stomach or intestinal tear. Often these bones do get digested fine and pass through the system without issue. You are best to just monitor for any symptoms that the bone hips causing an issue.

You want to be very careful to watch for any vomiting, diarrhoea or lethargy, these are the main symptoms that the bones are stuck or causing pain or damage. An x-ray at this stage is unlikely to be useful as they will show the bones but not if they are causing a problem. The only way to know if they will be an issue to to watch and wait and if concerned your veterinarian would take an X-ray to check for a blockage or any sign the intestines have leaked.

Typically with bones we see symptoms of a problem 12-72 hours later, but it is not impossible for bones to cause a problem up to a week after eaten.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK so I will monitor her for the next few days and if I see any distress or unusual behaviours I will take her straight to our vet. thank you so much!

A lot of the time dogs are fine, and as long as you know what to watch out for and take her promptly for an examination she should be ok.

Hope all goes well.