Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 10 month old Shih tzu went to get groomed last week. This

Hi, my 10 month old Shih tzu went to get groomed last week. This was a different groomer than usual as he needed to be cut ASAP and our usual groomer was not available to get to. He came home better then usual straight away he wanted to play and run around and seemed fine with the lady cuddling her and playing with her. The past few days I have noticed that he has been a little bit shivery then usual but calms right down when he is cuddled or wrappped up in his blanket. He has also been a bit strange when sitting, he is taking a few tries to get comfortable and shaking his bum a little as well as he has a red patch of skin on his testical sack which he frantically licks. With him being a very hairy dog I have never noticed his until now. I have never had this breed before and unsure if they change as we got him from a puppy and I was too young to remember with my other dogs. My partners Nan has winstons brother called Jojo and he had to be rushed to the vets the other day as he had an infection in his bum where the previous groomer winston was going to hadn’t cleaned away his cut hair and it had got into his bum when she was doing it. I just want to make sure the bum shaking isn’t an indication of infection or if I should take him to the vets

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I would attribute the razor burn of his scrotum for his behavior. This can be addressed by applying a thin film of over the counter hydrocortisone cream to the affected skin thrice daily. Winston might need an Elizabethan collar for a few days in order to prevent his continuing to lick and excoriate that area. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.