Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.

Our West Highland (18 months old) is passing a little blood

Our West Highland white (18 months old) is passing a little blood from her back passage when she goes to the toilet. It only started today. could this be something serious?

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Reg, hematochezia (blood from the anus) is always of concern. Belle's vet will need to consider quite a few possible etiologies for the bleeding. They include the following:

anal sac gland impaction, sacculitis, or abscess

neoplasia – perianal adenomas are the most common of the benign tumors while the most common of the malignant tumors is the anal sac adenocarcinoma - all are rare at Belle's young age

perianal fistulas - most common in the German shepherd

anal stricture - uncommon – most often found in middle-aged to older males

trauma – e.g., from passing a foreign body in the stool

proctitis (rectal inflammation)

colitis – idiopathic (unknown cause), food allergy, infection (bacterial, viral, parasitic) - her diarrhea today supports a colitis

coagulation disorder – not a common cause of hematochezia

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.