Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.

My dog has been on Specific dog food for 4 months now for

My dog has been on Specific dog food for 4 months now for bis would it be wise to change and if so what for

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Faythe, can you tell me the type of food Teddy has been fed over the last 4 months, please? Hypoallergenic (novel protein, hydrolyzed?), ultra low fat, bland, other? I believe you meant to type IBD - inflammatory bowel disease. Please clarify.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Teddy was diagnosed with Bis 4 months ago and put on Specific food allergy management wet food which he is very well now but it seems so bland I just wanted advice can I start to introduce a healthy diet or does he have to stay on this for life

I'm not familiar with "BIS". Can you clarify this for me?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Sorry my mistake should be ibs

Thank you. Inflammatory bowel disease/syndrome may or may not be associated with food intolerance. It's recommended to feed a presumptively hypoallergenic diet (novel protein or, preferably, hydrolyzed) when initiating therapy (usually with a glucocorticoid (steroid) such as prednisone and/or the antibiotic/immunomodulary drug metronidazole) and if my patient responds well to then reduce dosing of those drugs or stop feeding the presumptively hypoallergenic diet and see how my patient does. The goal is to find the smallest dose of those drugs that's effective in controlling symptoms and if you can avoid having to feed a hypoallergenic diet, that's an additional plus. To answer you directly, then, yes, you can slowly move Teddy over to a regular commercial diet (mix the new food progressively into the old over a period of a week to avoid GI distress) and see how Teddy does.

Is he currently being given a drug(s) in addition to the special diet?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
No he doesn't take drugs now he did 4 months ago but since then only Specific food thank you for your help I needed to know that it was possible to change his diet I will try a teaspoonful at a time

You're quite welcome. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.