Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dachshund was mated twic..e,,2 days apart at 10 and 12

my dachshund bitch was mated twic..e,,2 days apart at 10 and 12 days and had 20 min ties both times,,,i heard puppy heartbeats at 6 and 7 weeks but now she is 8 weeks into gestation i had her scanned and the uterus was empty...can she have re absorbed this late into gestation ,,also if she has reabsorbed is she liable to do it again during other times in future litters,,this is her 4th time of being mated,, puppies were produced in her last 3 pregnancies with no problems ,your advice please....

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Resorption (or mummification) is more common a cause of fetal loss than abortion. Bitches with hypoluteoidism (a lack of progesterone production by the corpus lutea (the structures which the egg follicles become)) may experience recurrent resorption, mummification, or abortion. There are quite a few possible causes of resorption, however, and an inadequate uterine environment is more likely than a primary infection. In general, resorption should prompt a search for an underlying cause of such an environment. This can involve serology or PCR testing for Brucella canis and canine herpesvirus-1; virus or bacterial isolation from microbial cultures from feti, placenta, milk, or vaginal secretions; necropsy of feti; serum progesterone level assessment (>2-3 ng/mL is necessary to maintain pregnancy); thyroid hormone assessment; and routine laboratoryy testing - complete blood count and serum biochemical profile. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.