Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Was looking for a bit of advice. My chihuahua is usually

Customer Question

Hi there was looking for a bit of advice. My chihuahua is usually very hyper and jumping around but tonight around 8pm he was just sitting on our sofa and when my mum went to pick him up he would cry out and whimper. He won’t walk around like he usually does and only wants to snuggle in? I don’t think he needs to see a vet right this minute but I’m worried that something is up
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Stephenie, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You may be correct but we don't have much to go on. Degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk") should be an important differential diagnosis in such a miniature dog. Supportive evidence of a disk may include vocalizing when approached or lifted, having trouble jumping up or down and navigating steps, ataxia (“drunken sailor”), trembling/shaking/panting (pain responses), a change in posture such as the neck held rigidly and head lower to the ground or a"hunch" in Alfie's back, and a change in behavior - a normally social dog becoming aloof or, conversely, a normally aloof dog becoming "clingy". Have any new signs appeared that might help clarify why Alfie is behaving in that manner?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No he’s fast asleep and seems fine now. It’s strange because I took him outside for the toilet and he wandered about as if nothing was wrong till we got back in the house

I never argue with success. Now all of you need to get some rest; it's very early in the morning there. Please return to our conversation in your mid-morning with an update. I'm in the Pacific time zone and so won't be online for another 10 hours+.