Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I will like to know what can i do if my dog is pregnat and i

Customer Question

hi there i will like to know what can i do if my dog is pregnat and i don’t want puppies
thank you
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok waiting,,,

Spaying is "curative" of course but if that's not desired pregnancy termination is possible medically. Pregnancy termination can be performed by means of premature lysis of the corpus luteum - the structure that a pre-existing egg follicle becomes and which secretes progesterone. This is accomplished by dosing with prostaglandin F 2 alpha every 8-12 hours subcutaneously for 3-9 days. The drug we use in dogs is dinoprost or cloprostenol. Prostaglandin F 2 alpha may also be combined with a prolactin inhibitor such as bromocriptine or cabergoline. Usually 3-4 days of therapy is needed when the two drugs are used concomitantly. Dexamethasone at a decreasing dose for 5-10 days may also be effective. The progesterone blocker aglepristone need only be given in two doses 24 hours apart. It's not available in the States but may be so in the UK. The days when we gave a potent estrogen such as estradiol as a mismating injection are long gone. It's now considered malpractice to do so because although it was quite successful in preventing pregnancy it also caused far too many cases of pyometra - purulent endometriosis. The drugs I've mentioned above may not be available in all veterinary hospitals so check with Daisy's vet before making the trip. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
But i just pay £15 for a call
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i will like to know around what price they are the medicine,,

You won't be charged for the call if you don't accept it. Please contact customer service at ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us or 1-***-***-**** if you have additional questions or concerns. Regretfully, I can't know what you'd be charged for medical treatment and so always ask for a written estimate prior to anything being done. Please continue our conversation if you wish.