Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My dearly beloved cat and I have just moved to a new area ($

Hi - My dearly beloved cat and I have just moved to a new area ($ Weeks ago) My cat is 13yrs and suddenly his inner eyelids are prominent and he seems down. I took him to a new vet last sat who gave him a jab of vitamins and I think Anti B's and he was wormed as well but after an initial improvement his eyes are more watery and the inner eyelids back in force. He has always been a grazer and eating less than normal but eating abit so can't work it out. He still goes out but less than normal so perplexed?? I have booked him into a new vets tomorrow anyway for blood tests and more attention - didn't like the last new vet much.
Is this a real worry?

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your cat. I'm so sorry you're going through this, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

The first vet's attempt at a simple answer was not out of line. Some simple problems with get better after injections of vitamins and antibiotics and deworming. That's a good start.

The fact that your cat rallied a bit, then went back to having the same trouble let's us know this is indeed something more complicated and more of a concern.

You're doing the right thing by taking him back in and looking harder for the source of the problem. Blood work is definitely the next step.

You asked if this is a real worry?

It's worth pursuing, yes, with blood tests and maybe other simple lab tests, too, but it's too soon to be really alarmed. We need more information right now. That's the important thing.

I know it's really scary to consider some potential reasons for these symptoms, but it's best to wait until you know what you're actually up against.

I know how worrisome a situation like this can be. Your cat is your dear companion. You can rest assured you're doing everything for him that needs to be done by getting him back in for blood work.

I do hope this information is helpful to you. I want to be as helpful as possible because I know what it's like to worry.

Is there anything else I can help you with at this time?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you think it is serious as I need to prepare myself if necessary as he was my midlife menopause solution to not having children and now he is grow up he is effectively my Partner and soul mate. Is it stress? as I have moved back to the countryside and he seems nervous having been in suburbia and there are no cats here. Is it likely to be medical?

I completely understand where you're coming from. You have a lot going on.

The reality of the situation is, however, that I do not know if it is serious or not. It's just too soon to know. You will know more tomorrow.

We can continue to chat this way, or we can do a phone call.

I know it's difficult being in a situation where you don't have a diagnosis yet, but you can rest assured you're doing all you can for the time being by having the blood work scheduled.

To be clear, it's possible this could still turn out to be from the stress of moving. It would be inappropriate to do so, however, until the appropriate lab tests have been done and ruled everything else out.

Please let me know how else I may be of assistance today.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you not calling

I entered my phone number. Did it not go through?

One moment, please, while I re-enter...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you international?

I've re-entered my contact information into the system.

Yes. I am in the US.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay - I will leave it as the bill tomorrow maybe high - but thank-you for your reassurance

Yes... I want to do everything I can to reassure you. In regards ***** ***** yourself, do your best to focus your energy today on remaining calm and present for him, knowing that tomorrow you will get the answers you need.

The most important thing is that you are NOT ignoring his symptoms and doing what is necessary to find out WHY he's having this trouble. That's the first step.

Once that step has been taken, then you can focus on how to proceed from there. You may get good news that this is something relatively simple to fix.

If that's it for now, please take a moment to rate my response with 5 STARS so I may receive credit for helping you today. I've done my best to be accurate and thorough in discussing your concerns.

Thank you for using our website.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thankyou deeply for being there. He will remain being priority and treasured x

I'm so glad you have each other.

Thank you for using our website.