Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My cat has a red wound (about 2cm) across on his back. Does

My cat has a red wound (about 2cm) across on his back. Does he need to see a vet?

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Puggle. I'm sorry this has happened, but glad you're looking for the information you need.
Are you able to upload a photo of this wound?

Do you know what caused it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your quick reply. I don’t know what caused it, although I suspect it was a fight with another local cat as they often hiss at each other! We first noticed the wound yesterday but it was only about 1cm then. I’ve just got in from work and it’s bigger now. He’s currently disappeared out (hopefully not having another fight!) but when he’s back I’ll take a photo and upload it! Thank you

You're welcome. I'll do my best to help.

While I await your photo, I want to let you know that cat BITES tend to get infected and should be taken very seriously no matter how small. So in that case a trip to the vet is definitely in order.

Scratches, on the other hand, aren't as serious and can often heal without treatment.

In Puggle's case, since it's already getting worse instead of better, I'd be inclined to get veterinary attention sooner rather than later.

I will await your photo.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He wasn’t keen on staying still, so it’s not the best picture ever! I’ve given it a clean with a damp cloth though and he wasn’t at all bothered by me touching it! Thanks

Good photos, thanks!

This actually *does* look like the type of thing I would take to the vet sooner rather than later. It looks infected.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oh dear! OK, thank you for letting me know. I’ll see if I can find a vet which is open on Saturdays, as mine isn’t! Thank you

You're welcome. No cause for alarm; it just should be addressed. Good luck with everything and I hope he heals up quickly.

Please take a moment to rate my response with 5 STARS on your way out of the chat so I may receive credit for helping you today.

Thank you for using our website.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. I’ve just been to the night vet and he’s been given antibiotics and cream. Hopefully he’ll be all better soon! Thank you ��