Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My new rabbit is about 4 months old he had his injections

My new rabbit is about 4 months old he had his injections last Saturday and was fine. Over the last couple of days he has been drinking around around 2 pints of water per day and we are having to remove all of the sawdust twice a day as sodden. He only weighs 1.4kg I’m sure this isn’t right. He is eating a lot of hey and just one small t spoon of nuggets per day. He is still active and seems ok in himself.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but I wanted to touch base with you about Mr. Crisps.

In regards ***** ***** intake for this species, we can actually see them take up quite a bit more compared to other species. Still this is excessive for him. Its nearly 5-6x what we'd expect for a daily fluid intake. Therefore, we do need to be proactive here. We'd want to be checking his pelleted feed's salt content and check the hay for any signs of mold. If it is an alfalfa (high in calcium), we may need to switch to timothy or orchard grass. Otherwise, we'd be best getting a urine sample (usually with an empty litter box or by having him in clean bedding free cage to obtain a donation) for his local vet to analyse. That way we can check for signs of bacterial infection, check his kidney's ability to concentrate the urine, and check for signs of diabetes. Depending on findings, there we may have our answer and his vet would just need to treat (ie antibiotics, etc). Else we may need a full exam and bloods to look for a severe focus of inflammation as well as assess him for those other main differentials, liver disease, hypercalcemia, or a possible tumor (less likely though with his age) .

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************

If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help. Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**