Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 17 yr old staff had very loud tummy gurgling and is

Customer Question

My 17 yr old staff had very loud tummy gurgling and is loosing weight at the rear of her body
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 13 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Bliss, please?

Her gurgling (borborygymus) is the sound of fluid and gas moving through a hypermotile bowel. It can represent normal physiological sounds, a primary gastrointestinal disorder, or disorders elsewhere in Bliss's body that affect the GI tract. Her weight loss in that area is directly related to loss of muscle mass seen in advanced geriatrics. Neither the sounds nor her weight loss are pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder and so Bliss's vet will want to perform a complete physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests in an attempt to clarify what ails her. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.