Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My 9 month old GSD has been caught on her first break. If

Customer Question

My 9 month old GSD has been caught on her first break. If she was to fall pregnant would she be okay? Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan. Currently, I'm reviewing your question and will be back to you in a few minutes.

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 months ago.

Usually, the answer is yes, she'll be ok. Animals are very resilient but young animals are a higher risk of having various complications. She is at risk of having small or weak pups since she is still growing herself. She'll be at risk for difficult labor so you'll need to be close when it comes time for delivery (approximately 63 days after breeding). She'll be more likely to have no mothering instincts so you'll need to be standing by to help feed the pups if she rejects them or has poor milk production. There are many dogs who do just fine at this age but she could have issues so make sure she is at the utmost health (vaccines deworming etc). Also, keep a close eye on her if she's pregnant in about 2 months. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions, if it did help, please leave a rating. Dr. Dan

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can her growth and hips be affected if she was to have puppies?
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 months ago.

Not so much her hips but she'll be sending nutrients for her growth into the puppies so yes it will affect her growth to some extent. Most of the time we don't see much of a difference but there will be some minor effects on her growth.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I got advice from a local vet who told me she would not grow anymore if she is pregnant and that the puppies would be deformed. I was also told that the weight from carrying a litter of pups would cause hip damage. They advised me to take her for injections when she comes off heat do you agree with that advice?
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 months ago.

That is all possible but not guaranteed. Clients often hear from us that something WILL happen when we say it MAY happen. If you don't want any risk of those complications then yes preventing the pregnancy will be important. However, those injections also carry risk so be certain to ask about the side effects of the injections before getting them. Dr. Dan

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is it possible to have her spayed if she is pregnant or is the injections the only option?
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 months ago.

It is possible and preferred to have her spayed, rather than the injections. We don't want to wait much past 30 days post breeding to spay her but that would allow you to determine with an ultrasound if she, in fact, is pregnant or not if you were hoping to wait on spaying her. If you didn't need or want to wait to have her spayed, you could consider that at any time. Dr. Dan