Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog has started breathing really heavily and she had some

Customer Question

Hi my dog has started breathing really heavily and she had some form of a sinus problem and a hacking cough like she had somthing stuck in her throat yesterday. Any idea on what could cause it? She's a 2 year old Siberian husky
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Shadow, please?

Regretfully, her behavior could represent a simple respiratory infection such as the infectious tracheobronchitis complex ("kennel cough") but also more serious cardiopulmonary disorders. We'll need more of a track record to prognose more accurately.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
She has stopped with the hacking cough but if she gets to excited she starts breathing really heavily and she's got a runny nose

Thank you for the additional information. A simple respiratory infection is more likely in such a young dog. Is her nasal discharge clear, cloudy, or discolored?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
It is clear and looks like water

Thank you. A clear discharge can be physiological (normal), of an allergic rhinitis (inflammation inside the nose), or represent the precursor of a cloudy or discolored discharge most indicative of infection. You can continue to monitor such a dog. If Shadow is is suffering from the infectious tracheobronchtiis complex in most cases these dogs will go into remission within 1-3 weeks unaided and so I rarely treat them with antibiotics. If they worsen instead of improving in the week following the onset of their symptoms, I do prescribe one of the antibiotics of choice - doxycyclne or amoxicillin/clavulanate. I might also send home a narcotic cough suppressant. It's best to avoid over the counter cough suppressants which usually contain dextromethorphan and alcohol - neither of which are recommended in dogs due to lack of efficacy and toxicity at higher doses. You're likely to find that a teaspoon/tablespoon (small/big dog) of honey every few hours will be more helpful in controlling coughing. Please continue our conversation if you wish.