Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a cross patterdale pup. He is approx 5&half months.

Customer Question

Hi. I have a cross patterdale pup. He is approx 5&half months. We have been struggling with toilet training, but tonight he has urinated 5 times in 10 mins indoors & once outside. He is running around as normal, eating, drinking etc. Could it be a uti please?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Yes, such stranguria - frequent attempts to urinate little or no urine - often indicates a bacterial urinary tract infection. Less commonly at his age, urinary calculi (stones) or neoplasia (very unlikely in a 5 month old) is found. Jack's vet will want to obtain urine by cystocentesis - percutaneous aspiration of his bladder through his abdominal wall - the most sterile manner in which to obtain urine - and perform a complete urinalysis looking for the presence of bacteria or abnormal numbers of either red or white blood cells - any of which suggest a UTI. If found, a broad spectrum antibiotic is prescribed for 10-14 days and the urine is rechecked 2 days after the course of therapy is completed in order to ensure that his urinary tract has been sterilized. Alternatively, his vet will suggest culturing the urine to determine the very best antibiotic to prescribe. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Jack has continued to urinate, so I had to get in touch with our emergency vet. I have managed to get a sample of urine directly from his flow and will take it to our vet in the morning to be checked. Thank you

Thank you for the update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. If possible, urine obtained by cystocentesis should be examined as it's far less likely to be contaminated by bacteria which could mistakenly indicate a bacterial urinary tract infection when one doesn't exist.