Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My 11 month French bulldog has red marks on his lower lip,

My 11 month French bulldog has red marks on his lower lip, what could it be?

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about the red marks on your Frenchie's lower lip. Are you able to upload a photo of these marks?

In the meantime, I'll let you know the most common thing to cause red marks are bruises or other minor injuries.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have attached a pic

Thank you for your quick reply and for sending the photos. They're very helpful

These types of sores are usually the result of some type of irritation or allergy. They can commonly result from using plastic dishes or toys. If you're using plastic bowls for food and water, I would strongly advise changing to metal or crockery.

I'll reply more in a few minutes; I'm heading off to see a sick puppy for a bit...

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Really? I’ve just £14 for your advice

I'm back now.

I'm so sorry you're not happy with the information I've provided so far. I'm happy to keep discussing this until you're satisfied with the information I can provide you with. I just didn't want to leave you hanging, wondering why it took me a few minutes to respond.

Do you wish to continue?

We can start by having you tell me what kind of food and water bowls you're currently using for your pup.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He is on royal canin food and eats and drinks out of metal bowls

Any plastic toys at all?

Does he lick his feet a lot?

Sorry for all the questions, but it helps me narrow things down a bit.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He has been licking his feet probably more noticeable than usual and yes most of his toys r plastic, however he has a newish one which is like a frisbee and he pulled the squashy plastic off

Thank you for the quick reply. Chewing on plastic toys is the most likely suspect in this case. The first step I'd recommend taking is to remove his access to plastic things to chew on and replace them with alternatives like rubber (Kong), cotton rope, and canvas.

Frenchies are particularly prone to sensitive skin and this type of outbreak on the lips usually goes away after discontinuing access to plastic.

(typing more...)

In some instances, this can be due to a food allergy. Food allergy can also cause foot-licking and other rashes around the body. Food allergies are not as common as plastic sensitivity, and they're also much more rare in such a young dog. For a Frenchie, though, it's still possible.

Ruling in or out a food allergy can be difficult. It takes 2 months of avoiding the offending food ingredient before any symptoms will clear up. Common food allergens are beef, chicken, corn, whey, and egg.

(typing more)

A third consideration, which would be very rare is the possibility of an autoimmune disorder like lupus or phemphigus. These disorders are rare to start with, and would be even more rare in such a young dog. It takes a skin biopsy to diagnose these types of disorders.

In your case, I'd advise starting with the simplest plan first: eliminating his mouth's contact with plastics. Give that a few weeks and see if the sores heal up.

If not, then start a limited ingredient food trial for a couple of months to see if that helps. You can make a homemade diet, or buy a commercially prepared hypoallergenic diet.

If that doesn't work, the next step is a trip to the vet and possibly a biopsy.

I do hope this information is helpful. Does that help to answer your question for now?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thank you for your help. Is there anyway of me keeping this thread to refer back to?

Yes... you can use your browser to bookmark it. It will remain here indefinitely, at this URL. You can return to it at any time and even post more, even after you've left the chat and rated my response. I'll do my best to help.

If that's it for now, please take a moment to rate my response with 5 STARS so I may receive credit for chatting with you this evening.

Thank you for using our website.

Just checking in to ask how things are going with your Frenchie today. It'll be a slow process eliminating things and waiting to see what makes him heal up, but nothing should get worse at this point.

Dr. Jo