Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years
45762142

My dog just stopped eating lost so much weight his heart got

My dog just stopped eating lost so much weight his heart got worse and I had to pts last week I just want to know why? Why did he stop eating when all his results were fine
Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bentley 8
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bentley?
Customer: He’s a cavalier king Charles spaniel has a grade 5 heart murmur had been on vetmedin for 2 years
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is any one there

Hello, this is Dr. Sara. I am very sorry for your loss. That is very young.

Did he go in to congestive heart failure and is that why you needed to put him to sleep?

Hi, are you still there?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No I spoke with one of the vets today and he said he couldn’t stamp it that he had to be put to slee because of his heart. He weighed before all this started 10.8kg he had a grade 4 heart murmur in 2015 so he had scan and was put on vetmedin in December 2017 he had fluid on his lungs so was put on flusimide he seemed a lot better then come March/April he cut out his breakfast then middle of April just refused to eat anything. We then weighed him he weighed 9.8kg a week later he weighed 9.3kg he was taken in put on a drip released the next day however he was quite rocky whilst laying down. 2 days after went back to vets and the vet thought it could be his teeth as his teeth was really bad so we decided to get them done as he was literally not eating nothing and seemed in pain when vet touched his teeth. Before the dental he was given antibiotics and painkillers and started to get a bit of appetite back before having his dental. He had all his teeth removed apart from his 4 canines he did well under sedation. He came home and seemed like he was getting his appetite back even though he found it hard to eat with no teeth. Then he declined food again so was taken in for 2 day to be fed by tube down the nose, he then was picking at chicken so was discharged and he ate on and off for few days however then again stopped. Then the vet said his heart was arythmic and that was what was then causing him to jump up and gag to be sick yet nothing coming up. This went on for over a week sometimes we would go to the vet and his heart wasn’t arythmic however was really fast the week before he was pts they upped his vetmedin but nothing changed they also gave him food stimulants every other day for few times but nothing he just kept refusing to eat yet his bloods were fine his ultrasound on his belly was fine. Why did my boy stop eating it’s killing me not knowing why please help
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
At the end of it all he weighed 7.3kg he was literally bones

Well, it sounds like his heart was the primary reason if his labwork and ultrasound was normal. Think about it this way....your blood supplies all your organs, muscles and cells of the body with nutrients. When your heart isn't able to pump normally, the body is deprived of what it needs. At first, this is a slow deprivation and medications help the heart to pump as normal as it can. But slowly, the organs etc are not getting 100% of what they need. As the heart disease progresses, the other organs go into further shut down and start to decline. In the end,if the heart is not pumping blood efficiently and there is an off and on arrhythmia, the rest of the body declines that much more. The muscles lose their ability to function, the kidneys start to go into failure....everything starts to shut down. So what is perceived as a sudden decline is not......the body has been on a slow decline for years and ultimately failed. Does that make sense to you?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
even though 4 days before he was pts his blood test came back fine you still think it could have been his heart? Would it have stopped him from eating?

Yes, the exhaustion could cause him to stop eating

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Did I do the right thing in putting him to sleep as I feel so bad

It sounds to me like you made the best decision for him. He did very well for having such a large heart murmur. I am very sorry, I know you are heart broken.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok thank you for your time

You are welcome. Let me know if you think of anything else you want to ask or clarify. Goodnight.