Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My Spaniel was bitten by another dog yesterday at the top of

Customer Question

My Spaniel was bitten by another dog yesterday at the top of his front leg. Initially, though shaken, he appeared fine. He limped for a short while and then carried on walking and playing normally. Today he is unable to walk on the leg at all and is in some discomfort. What should I do?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Did the other dog break the skin? If so, can you describe the wound (depth, size, if its gaping open)?

Does he try to hold the leg up today or drag it?

Does he appear to have feeling in the leg?

Can you take a photo of this for me to assess? To post it, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box (last icon). Or if you cannot see that, then post it on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr Instagram, etc) & paste the link here for me.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi there, thanks for getting back to me. We discovered this morning he did break the skin. It looks more like a graze and not deep about 2mm at widest and 10 mm long.https://photos.app.goo.gl/HbfGRVXIsfEMsD8M2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/sCubILq2mtTof2Bl1He was reluctant to eat and drink this morning but his appetite and thirst have returned. He was holding the paw up but has started to put weight on leg and is returning to walking normally. He is now letting us touch the leg where before he was pulling away and yelping.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon,

Apologies for my delay, I was called away to an emergency for a patient yesterday and wasn't back til late.

Anyway, I am so glad to see it was just a graze and not a puncture or tear. Usually with grazes we need only treat topically. To do that, you can start by cleaning this 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and you can consider having the local vet dispense an antibiotic cream for this but as it is not severely raw we may not necessarily have to use that. Otherwise, do rest him +/- warm compress the leg a there will be bruising/discomfort at the level of the muscles. If he was very sore or favoring it a lot, then his vet could dispense dog safe anti-inflammatory medication (ie Metacam, Rimadyl, onsior, etc). But otherwise do keep an eye on his appetite, it should get back to normal as the discomfort from this attack fades but we can tempt him to eat with a light diet (ie rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder)) if need be.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************
Afterwards, as I am giving you my own free time, please take a moment & rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site won't credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this & rating me now does not close your question. We can continue until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you! : ) **