Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

We have 2 litters. One is 2 weeks and one is 1 week. So we

We have 2 litters. One is 2 weeks and one is 1 week. So we were worming the 2 week old litter and my partner wormed the wrong pup.A pup of 1 week got "1 click" of the worming paste (Beaphar). Now that pup seems to be moving slowly with a stiff neck and looks worrying to us.Could this have caused this? what can we do?

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. What is the active ingredient(s) in that wormer, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
piperazine citrate is it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ctive substance % w/w
Piperazine Citrate 25.00Excipients % w/wTitanium Dioxide 3.00
Methyl Parahydroxybenzoate 0.15

Thank you. Adverse effects are uncommon at recommended doses but diarrhea, emesis, and ataxia ("drunken sailor") may be noted in dogs. Acute, massive overdoses can lead to paralysis and death but the drug is generally considered to have a wide margin of safety. Treatment is symptomatic and supportive. There's no specific antidote. If ingestion were recent, use of activated charcoal and a cathartic have been suggested. IV fluid therapy, and keeping the pup in a quiet, dark place is recommended. Recovery generally takes place within 3-4 days.

May I have an update on the pup, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
34;drunken sailor" is perhaps a good description on how looks. His neck was very stiff and we thought maybe he had been trod on by mum. But then realised he has been wormed in wrong litter. Currently he is taking puppy milk, but we have kept him apart from other pups and mum is warm area.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is 300-350 grams. the click of the drug is for 1kg so he is probably 3 or 4x overdose.

Eating is a positive prognostic sign. That wasn't a massive overdose but at 1 week of age he may not be able to metabolize that wormer efficiently and so high levels of it persist in his body. Please note that piperazine is rarely prescribed anymore. It's only partially effective against roundworms and not effective against other nematodes. Please consider products containing either pyrantel or fenbendazole. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you. we will keep an eye on him. Is it best we just wait and see now then? other than activated charcoal is there anything "common" i could give him? around the house?

I would prefer that a vet tube the pup with an appropriate (tiny) amount of activated charcoal. No, there's nothing else I would give; in fact, avoiding everything but food is prudent in a 1 week old!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you very much

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.