How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 49516
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now

Dear, I took our Briard Jerri for a walk yesterday and all

This answer was rated:

Dear *****, I took our Briard Jerri for a walk yesterday and all seemed fine. in the late evening he started to retch and was completely out of sorts, I thought he'd probably got a bone stuck (we fed him raw meat and bones) I tried to get him to take water which seemed to help a bit but he was was quite distressed. At 1.15am I took him to an emergency vet locally in Oxfordshire. After examining him she said it was Kennel Cough and not bone (he'd never had a bone stuck in his throat before). Other than a repeat prescription administered to him previously - and not given last night), she decided to administer him with a 2.50 synulext rtu injection (40ml) per ml, plus 1.90 metacam injection 0.5% per ml. As she went to give these to Jerri she said that her counterparts were not keen on doing this but it would help him more quickly. When I asked if she was happy doing this even though others were not, she said "Yes, but we don't mention this." This morning Jerri woke in a real state and was frothing around the mouth and needed to get outside. A little while later he just stumbled to the ground and a neighbour had to help me carry him into the car. On arriving outside my normal surgery the very quickly decided it was bloat and after lots of sole-searching, my partner and I made the decision to have him put to sleep as we didn't want him to suffer. My questions is, in your opinion do you think Jerri should have been given the injections mentioned above?
Thank you, Jan

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Many thanks Michael, it's been a really bad day.

My condolences for your loss of Jerri. I can only imagine how difficult this has been for you. My initial thought was that his retching in the late evening indicated early bloat and by morning the bloat has become GDV - gastric distension volvulus - in which the stomach twists on its axis and is life-threatening. I can only imagine that the vet was fixated on kennel cough because Jerri had previously been diagnosed with it. To answer you directly, then, the amoxicillin/clavulanate (Synulox) and meloxicam (Metacam) weren't necessary and the real harm was caused by the misdiagnosis. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Michael. It's been a really bad day, he was a beautiful, gentle soul. They call Briards a heart wrapped in fur and he certainly fitted the bill.. I appreciate your honest feedback. Regards, Jan

You're quite welcome, Jan. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Dr. Michael Salkin and 3 other Vet Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.