Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My ring neck parrot was at the bottom of his cage and my

Customer Question

My ring neck parrot was at the bottom of his cage and my daughter's ***** ***** caught his wing and he has no feathers left on it and is bleeding what can I do.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Will this take much longer

You need only lavage the raw and bleeding areas with an over the counter chlorhexidine solution such as Hibiclens in your local drug store which is safe if ingested...as is always the case with birds such as Frankie. Once you've disinfected these areas in that manner, Frankie should be placed in a warm (85F) area that is darkened and unlikely to be disturbed in order to combat shock. You can warm up the area by shining a 100W bulb into his partially covered cage (not at night when he needs to sleep) or by taping a heating pad set on its lowest setting to the sides of his cage. Lavaging affected areas once daily for 5-7 days should suffice. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Have you got an answer for me. I've paid the 28 pound and would appreciate you getting back to me

Please look above your last post for my response timestamped 3:29 PM (my time). Please let me know if you can't see it and I'll repost it for you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What do I do to stop him biting his injury, he has no feathers left the bone if the wing is exposed and bleeding

He'll need the attention of an avian vet who can fit him with an Elizabethan collar. You can find such a vet here: theparrotsocietyuk.org/veterinaryadvice/avian-vets

Please continue our conversation if you wish. Please see here for more in this regard: https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/elizabethan-collars-in-birds

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do I get one question for £28

No, we can speak as long as you wish without additional cost to you.