Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a black lab who is 7 year old and he had 3 fits in a

Customer Question

I have a black lab who is 7 year old and he had 3 fits in a week and now its lefted him really poorly where he cannot stop shaking and always falling a sleep
Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: a black laberador a male dog
Assistant: OK. Welcome! How can I help with your dog?
Customer: I just want some advice how to stop him from shaking he isn't he self at all I tried looking for a local vet who comes to my house but I cannot find one
Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Buster
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Buster?
Customer: no I am just scared for him he isn't eating either
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I'm sorry to hear of this with Buster. Most of us will accept one mild (lasting less than 5 minutes, no thrashing about, no loss of consciousness) fit monthly before considering prescribing an anticonvulsant drug. Should Buster suffer another event within 24 hours of a prior one clustering is diagnosed and that may presage status epilepticus - the state in which seizure activity doesn't abate unless I heavily sedate or anesthetize my patient. Buster would then need the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience.

To answer you directly, then, Buster should be on an anticonvulsant drug such as phenobarbital, levetiracetam, or zonisamide at this time. You'll need to find a vet for him who can evaluate him and decide if Buster is treatable or if his fits have damaged his brain to the point that treatment isn't reasonable. Regretfully, this is my concern because he appears to have been left brain damaged (continuing to shake, somnolence/sleepiness, anorexia).
Seizures first arising between the ages of 1-5 years are usually considered idiopathic (unknown cause) epilepsy. Seizures arising after 6 years of age are often caused by brain tumor or, less commonly, adult onset epilepsy. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thank you for your reply I have already got buster into a vet for first thing Monday morning and also I have a taxi what can take me there too thank you so much

Thank goodness. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.