Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog has been suffering with a false pregnancy for 4

My dog has been suffering with a false pregnancy for 4 weeks. We went to the vets initially we she had a swollen mammory the size of a satsuma, the lump has become hard and red and the size of a large grapefruit. She is lathargic and anxious which I understand are normal symptoms however I am worried about the lump as she can barely walk downstairs and can’t even lie down properly. Is there anything I can do to help her or do we need to go back the vets?

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Although uncommon, infection of an engorged mammary gland (mastitis) secondary to pseudopregnancy does occur and that inflamed lump should be considered to represent a mastitis unless proven otherwise. Please let her vet know what you're seeing. I suspect that you'll be asked to return her to be rechecked. A systemic antibiotic that penetrates well into the mammary gland will likely be prescribed and surgical lancing and flushing of an abscess may be necessary if it's clear to the vet that an abscess had formed. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.